Friday, July 11, 2014



THE STRENGTH OF MY HAND
Deuteronomy 8:10-20

            The popular Frank Sinatra song, “My Way”, extols the virtues of self-reliance.  “I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway.  And more, much more than this, I did it my way.”  What a manly sentiment!

For most men who were born into modest circumstances, the virtues of preparedness, industriousness, and perseverance resonate in Sinatra’s message.  “For what is a man, what has he got?  If not himself, then he has naught . . .”

But, self-reliance is the prelude to arrogance and success is the cousin of pride.

            This week’s theme is “The Strength of My Hand”.  Before the Israelites entered the Promised Land, Moses reminded them of all that the Lord had done for them.  Then, he warned them not to take credit for the riches they would soon enjoy in the Promised Land lest they suffer the same fate as the nations which God caused to perish before them. 

It is not the strength of my hand which brings me earthly riches.  It is God’s gracious provision.  Moses might have sung “For what is a man, what has he got?  If just himself, then he has naught . . .”

 
Key Bible Verse: “When you have eaten and are satisfied, you shall bless the Lord your God for the good land which he has given you.  Beware that you do not forget the Lord your God by not keeping His commandments and His ordinances and His statutes which I am commanding you today . . .” (Deuteronomy 8:10-11)

The Israelites were camped on the plains of Moab, a desolate area north of the Dead Sea.  At long last, they were about to enter the Promised Land.  They hadn’t arrived there without hardship.  Their grumblings about the lack of food and water during their desert wanderings are well documented.  So, it seems natural that Moses would address the Israelites about the perils awaiting them “When you have eaten and are satisfied . . .” 

Moses gave the Israelites two specific instructions.  First, he instructed them to bless the Lord for the good land which produced their food and drink.  Second, he instructed them not to ignore the Lord commandments, ordinances, and statutes.

Moses knew who he was dealing with.  He had judged their quarrels.  He had witnesses their stiff necked behavior.  He had even been the recipient of their affronts on several occasions.  He knew how quickly they would forget the source of their blessings and take all credit themselves for the good things in their lives.

My Response:  Do I forget the source of my blessings?  Do I take credit for doing it my way? Am I stiff-necked?

A Thought to Consider: NFL running back, Shaun Alexander, signs his name with “Ps 37:4” after it - “Delight yourself in the Lord; And He will give you the desires of your heart”.  What does Psalm 37 have to say about those who do not delight themselves in the Lord?

 Prayer: Heavenly Father, please help me to understand the strength of your hand and the weakness of mine.